Maybe you just moved to NYC, or maybe you’ve lived here for 20+ years. Take a look at some fun facts we put together, and test your expertise on New York City (or borrow one of these facts to use as your next conversation-starter).
1. New York City is made up of 5 boroughs, 59 community districts and hundreds of neighborhoods.
2. The popularization of “The Big Apple,” is credited to John J. Fitz Gerald, a 1920’s journalist and sports writer for the NY Morning Telegraph. He wrote a horse racing column for the Morning Telegraph entitled “Around the Big Apple.”
3. NYC is the most linguistically diverse in the world, with over 800 languages being spoken.
4. There are no Walmarts in NYC. (For real, you can google it)
5. 25% of the World’s gold bullion is stored in vaults under
Wall Street (aka the Federal Reserve Bank). And you can book a tour here
6. The Empire State Building has its own zipcode
7. The oldest building in NYC dates back to 1652. It’s called the Wyckoff Farmhouse and it’s located in BK. It’s open to the public on Fridays & Saturdays, and you can learn more about it here
8. The 1st American Pizza place opened in NYC in 1905, and it’s still there (Lombardi’s) There are now 1600+ spots around the city.
9. 1 in every 38 Americans live in NYC (8.5 Million)
10. The New York Public Library (flagship) has over 50 million books and other items and is the second largest library system in the nation after the Library of Congress. It is also the 3rd largest library in the world. You can take a guided tour at the flagship location (learn more here)
Hope you enjoyed some of the fun facts! Learn more about how Novo is bringing Boutique Living to NYC at staynovo.com